The past tense is used to talk about actions in the past. There are 4 variants of endings in the past tense:
- -л (for masculine gender) Он работал вчера – He worked yesterday.
- -ла (for feminine gender) Она работала вчера – She worked yesterday.
- -ло (for neuter gender) Это хорошо работало – It worked well.
- -ли (for plural) Мы работали вместе – We worked together.
It is important to remember that for pronouns “я” (I) and “ты” (you singular informal) the ending depends on the gender. For example,
- Я думал – I thought (if I am a man)
- Я думала – I thought (if I am a woman)
- Ты думал – You thought (I am talking to a male person)
- Ты думала – You thought (if I am talking to a female)