Today lesson is for the advanced level students. We’re going to talk about adverbial participles 1 or in Russian “деепричастия 1”.
Деепричастие is a special form of verb which includes features of a verb and an adverb. So we use it as an additional action to describe the main action. Look at the example:
- Мальчик читает книгу и слушает музыку.
Or we can say:
- Мальчик читает книгу, слушая музыку.
It has the same meaning but as you can see in the second example the verb “слушать” has a different form. This is adverbial participle.
So as you can see from the example we use it when someone does two things at the same time:
So everything you have to to is just to replace the infinitive ending -ть of one of two verbs with the ending -я.
Here are some more examples:
- Работая целый день, я думал о тебе – I’ve been thinking about you during the whole work day.
- Он шёл улыбаясь – He was walking and smiling.
- Я читал книгу, смотря телевизор. – I was reading a book while I was watching the TV.
It was the adverbial participle -1. There is one more – Adverbial participle – 2. I will tell you about it next time.
Bye! Enjoy your weekend!